Thursday, November 11, 2010

Titian & the Golden Age of Venetian Painting Exhibit!


Today I went to the High Museum with my Project 3 Group (Hyun Ki Lee, Danny Rodriguez, and Juan Gers). We had a great time and explored the Titian exhibit as well as some of the permanent collections. When we first arrived we were a little worried because there were so many high school kids there on a field trip or something. But it was actually interesting to see the way these kids interacted with the art. It was completely different from how we were interacting with the art. While all of us were taking notes and really analyzing the drawings and paintings, as well as the space (“gallery” – O’Doherty) in which we found them. These high school kids just seemed to be enjoying the art at a surface level. Rather than really looking into each piece and interpreting it, they walked nonchalantly throughout the museum, laughing and having fun with friends, while enjoying the art and its beauty. One thing I noticed in my experience was how I had to remind myself to enjoy the art. I found myself analyzing so much about the surroundings of the art that I almost forgot to look at the actual drawing or painting. Initially I was so focused on the room itself, the lighting from the ceiling skylights, the space between the drawings, the frames around each drawing or painting, etc. Then when I caught myself, I rectified the situation and was able to appreciate the beauty of the drawings and paintings while analyzing the gallery as well.

My favorite part of the exhibit was definitely the paintings portion. There was a total of 13 paintings and what I particularly liked about them was the rich and ornate frames. The drawings/sketched from the first part of the exhibit were in simple wood frames. The paintings were in the most beautiful gold frames with extravagant details. Some even included interesting plaques on them. It is fitting that the paintings were in much more extravagant frames (than the sketches) because they were so much more colorful than the sketches. The paintings were also larger and more vivid…overall they were more exciting in my opinion! But I enjoyed the whole experience of the Titian & the Golden Age of Venetian Painting Exhibit.

No comments:

Post a Comment